Wild Food Thanksgiving
Sunday, November 11th at Wilder Waters Community in Canton, Maine, is the 11th annual Wild Food Thanksgiving.
We bring dishes that include wild food (the more wild food, the better), including meals, breads, soups, snacks, and deserts. People label their food (location, ingredients, etc.) so folks know what is found in each dish.
This is an event where we celebrate our relationship to wild food with friends and family and loved ones.
Arthur will also be giving a 45-minute talk on the Androscoggin River to kick off our "Rewild the Androscoggin" Wilder Waters Campaign.
Children are welcome.
Need inspiration for your dish? Thank you to Rob Wolfe, here is a list of the dishes from 2016:
1. Tuberous sunflower french fries with autumn-olive ketchup
2. Heart and liver from a deer killed this morning
3. Acorn flour & maple sugar chocolate chip peanut butter cookies
4. Meads (there were many): tart cherry, strawberry rose-hip, wild grape, baslam fir - spruce - cedar
5. Wild rice & wild boar bacon
6. Venison stew with oyster mushrooms
7. Seafood chowder with a broth that was heterogeneously orange-red and milk-white from profligate levels of lobster and heavy cream
8. Autumn-olive kombucha
9. Pickled Maine coast kelp
10. Blueberry crisp
11. Woodstove-baked pollock
12. Buttered scallops
If you’ve never been, you have no idea what your missing out on!