The Land

Wilder Waters Community Headquarters resides on over 2,000 acres of undeveloped land. We will purchase and protect this land for all life— wildlife, hunters, anglers, foragers, hikers, & snowmobilers—and all generations.

A wildlife corridor and home of bobcat, deer, bear, grouse, moose, great blue heron, barred owl, coyote, fisher, brook trout, and numerous other species, this land is one of the largest swaths of undeveloped land north of the urban centers of Lewiston and Auburn, a major metropolitan area in Maine.

Nearly all of the northeast's temperate forests are under assault by logging operations; old growth temperate forests are exceedingly rare. This piece of land is a last remaining gem of Maine and it must be protected.

 
  Area encircled is a rough outline of the land we aim to purchase and protect, otherwise it will be sold and clearcut or developed into house lots.

Area encircled is a rough outline of the land we aim to purchase and protect, otherwise it will be sold and clearcut or developed into house lots.

 
 
DSC_0262-9.jpg

The Community

Wilder Waters Community Non-profit is run by a community of individuals who live on a few acres of the land surrounding a shared communal house, aka Wilder Waters HQ.

The members of the community are a living example of a land-use method based on the ways of our hunter-gatherer ancestors.

DSC08847.JPG

We hope to convert our current solar-powered communal house into a visitor’s center for the public. This solar-powered center will teach people about the ecology and history of the land.

 

the plan

Our plan is to purchase this land parcel by parcel. We will raise funds for the land from our annual event, The Dawnland Gathering, and from private donors.

At least 90% of funds in the Wilder Waters bank account go directly to purchasing the land and paying the property taxes. The other 10% has gone to items such as an external harddrive for our documents, a video we are making, envelopes, stamps and other such things.


About

Find out about our mission, our team, and our campaigns.

Learn More →

Take Action

You can help us to protect forest land from development.

Donate Now →